Tuesday 22 July 2014

Write, and write some more

As an aspiring writer I know that I am not alone in sometimes finding it a struggle.  Hell, I know that established authors sometimes find it a struggle.  I took a complete break from writing and uni work over the winter break to focus on family time and I do not regret it.  I am now however finding it a struggle to get back into it.  I am a little ashamed to admit that I spent an entire week in front of my computer and I only wrote a couple of hundred words, and not even good ones at that.  I had to admit to my lecturer, (the wonderful Sue Gillett) that I felt I had the dreaded W.B.  Writers block.  Sue gave me excellent advice - just write.  Just do it.  It is something I have heard before, I really should have remembered it.  I read an article today that said that the "just write" advice was a cop out but I do not believe that.  I think that it is great advice.  It is so easy to get overwhelmed by what you could/should write, to write by just letting go really does work.  So I did.  Let's face it, what we write is not carved in stone, we can edit, think some more, and before you know it you have some quality work.  Thanks Sue!

I was lucky enough recently to interview local author, journalist, blogger, many hat wearer (writing triple threat?) Lauren Mitchell and she too had wonderful advice and strategies to share.  In fact she opened up with "Writing takes practise, like anything that’s all it is.  The more you do it the better you will get."  Lauren went on to explain that good writing takes fitness, that you will use that part of your brain and you need to grow that muscle.  I know now that I need to look at writing like it's going for a walk, lifting some weights.  If I don't use my writing muscle it will atrophy, so exercise it I will.  

Here is the plan - writing 'workouts'.  Not all of it will be good, some of it will be great, all of it contributing to my writing fitness.  And I want to be well toned, lets start trimming the fat.

Both Sue Gillett and Lauren Mitchell will be hosting panels and talking at this years writing festival.  View the program here, and book tickets to the festival here.


 

3 comments:

  1. Told ya so - great exercise hey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did and it is! The simple solutions hey!

      Delete
  2. I hope your writing work outs are going well. I think I need a writing work out too!

    ReplyDelete